Family Law and Divorce Attorney serving Tavares, Leesburg, Eustis, Mt. Dora, The Villages® community and surrounding areas

(352) 343-0091 500 W. Caroline St., Tavares, FL 32778

April 17

Can I get child support modification?

child support lawyer floridaLife changes day by day, and circumstances change. Even though you have already established a set child support amount through the court's system, if there has been a change in either parents' income, you can ask for child support modification. A modification can be short or long term depending on the individual situation. 

The courts want to make sure children under 18 are getting the same level of financial support as when both parents lived under the same roof. The evidence is needed before modification can be made regarding child support compensation. The person asking for the modification needs proof that the income of the other parent has increased or that their income has decreased. The most common and easy to obtain evidence is recent tax return statements and the most recent pay stubs. 

There are many variables in child support modification including:

  • Income decrease: It happens more often than not that one parent may lose his or her job or have a decrease in pay for any reason. One parent may not be able to meet the current child support obligation or the main caregiver has had a decrease in income and is unable to properly care for the child with the current set amount.
  • Responsibilities for minor children change: As children grow older their needs change, whether it be medical like braces or if they want to participate in extracurricular activities. The custodial parent may file for more child support to help with the extra needs of the children. 
  • New responsibilities: On the other hand a non-custodial parent may re-marry and have stepchildren to support. In that case, the parent can seek to lower his or her child support compensation to be able to support their new family. 
  • Substantial increase of income or large inheritance: If the non-custodial parent gets a significant raise at work or inherits a large sum of money, the custodial parent may ask the courts to modify the payments based on the income increase. 

Depending of the circumstances the court may grant temporary or permanent child support modification. The needs of the children are always the main concern. Custody issues can be an emotional roller coaster for both the parents and the children. For more information on child support modification contact Benjamin J. Cox. 

Take the first step.

You don’t have to do this alone.

If you need help getting through the divorce, custody or support process, then contact the offices of Benjamin J. Cox and we will be glad to help.

Or, you can call our office at (352) 343-0091.

Or, you can stop by our office in downtown Tavares, just steps from the Lake County Courthouse.

* indicates required field.

Latest Blog Posts

Separate Parties for Kids of Divorced Parents

Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Getting divorced isn't typically a joyous occasion, especially when there are children involved. Many different factors are now needing to be considered, and one often overlooked subject is how to handle is the birthday celebration of the divorced couple's younger child/s. What is the best way to handle this type of situation and still keep the peace? Should divorced parents have separate birthdays for the child/children or try to put differences aside and come together for the occasion?


Getting a Divorce in Florida Without Children.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019

A divorce can be a sad time for many, and not so sad for some others.  Either way, it's a process in Florida that takes time and has different rules for specific circumstances when it comes to filing for divorce. When children are in the picture, it can make things a bit more complicated. But what can one expect when they file for divorce in Florida, and NO children are involved?


Connect With Us

Our Office

Benjamin J. Cox, Attorney at Law
500 W. Caroline St.
Tavares, FL 32778

(352) 343-0091 (phone)
Monday-Friday 9am to 5pm
Saturday 9am to 12pm
Special appointment times by request

  • visa Acceptedvisa
  • mastercard Acceptedmastercard
  • amex Acceptedamex
  • discover Accepteddiscover
  • cash Acceptedcash
  • check Acceptedcheck