Family Law and Divorce Attorney serving Tavares, Leesburg, Eustis, Mt. Dora, The Villages® community and surrounding areas

(352) 343-0091 500 W. Caroline St., Tavares, FL 32778

June 6

How can I get back child support that is owed?

florida child supportMost parents agree that even in a divorce, the number one priority is the best interest of the children, and to guarantee that the child support arrangement offers adequate financial security.

The State of Florida has specific guidelines to determine the amount of child support that is ordered and various ways of obtaining the payment from the responsible party.

When your attorney presents your case to the judge, the judge will take into consideration the following factors:

  • The income of both parents
  • The time-sharing schedule (how many overnights the child has with each parent)
  • Child care expenses paid by both parents
  • Health care expenses paid by both parents

If child support has been ordered and the responsible party falls behind or ignores their financial responsibility, it is imperative to have the matter brought back before the judge. This can be done by asking the judge to find the responsible party in contempt of court and violation of the standing court order. The judge can then order that the responsible party pays a purge amount toward what is owed, and have their wages garnished for future payments. In some cases, the judge will order the responsible party be incarcerated until a purge amount is paid.

Take the first step.

You don’t have to do this alone.

If you need help getting through the divorce, custody or support process, then contact the offices of Benjamin J. Cox and we will be glad to help.

Or, you can call our office at (352) 343-0091.

Or, you can stop by our office in downtown Tavares, just steps from the Lake County Courthouse.

* indicates required field.

Latest Blog Posts

Separate Parties for Kids of Divorced Parents

Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Getting divorced isn't typically a joyous occasion, especially when there are children involved. Many different factors are now needing to be considered, and one often overlooked subject is how to handle is the birthday celebration of the divorced couple's younger child/s. What is the best way to handle this type of situation and still keep the peace? Should divorced parents have separate birthdays for the child/children or try to put differences aside and come together for the occasion?


Getting a Divorce in Florida Without Children.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019

A divorce can be a sad time for many, and not so sad for some others.  Either way, it's a process in Florida that takes time and has different rules for specific circumstances when it comes to filing for divorce. When children are in the picture, it can make things a bit more complicated. But what can one expect when they file for divorce in Florida, and NO children are involved?


Connect With Us

Our Office

Benjamin J. Cox, Attorney at Law
500 W. Caroline St.
Tavares, FL 32778

(352) 343-0091 (phone)
Monday-Friday 9am to 5pm
Saturday 9am to 12pm
Special appointment times by request

  • visa Acceptedvisa
  • mastercard Acceptedmastercard
  • amex Acceptedamex
  • discover Accepteddiscover
  • cash Acceptedcash
  • check Acceptedcheck